Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review ~ THE BRO-MAGNET by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

The Bro-Magnet
Women have been known to lament, "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride." For Johnny Smith, the problem is, "Always a Best Man, never a groom." At age 33, housepainter Johnny has been Best Man eight times. The ultimate man's man, Johnny loves the Mets, the Jets, his weekly poker game, and the hula girl lamp that hangs over his basement pool table. Johnny has the instant affection of nearly every man he meets, but one thing he doesn't have is a woman to share his life with, and he wants that desperately. When Johnny meets District Attorney Helen Troy, he decides to renounce his bro-magnet ways in order to impress her. With the aid and advice of his friends and family, soon he's transforming his wardrobe, buying throw pillows, ditching the hula girl lamp, getting a cat and even changing his name to the more mature-sounding John. And through it all, he's pretending to have no interest in sports, which Helen claims to abhor. As things heat up with Helen, the questions arise: Will Johnny finally get the girl? And, if he's successful in that pursuit, who will he be now that he's no longer really himself? THE BRO-MAGNET is a rollicking comedic novel about what one man is willing to give up for the sake of love.                     ~From GoodReads


You know the guy, he's the one that has all the guys' attention. He's funny, loves his beer, is into sports, can tell a great story. He's dressed like a college frat boy, complete with the backwards baseball cap. He's a real "man's man". But the women? Not so much. From the moment Johnny was born, he's been a "disappointment to women". It began when his mother died shortly after his birth, after she discovered he wasn't the daughter she was hoping for. It continued with his Aunt Alfresca, who always reminded him (lovingly?!) that he killed her sister. Then there's Alice, the neighborhood girl who Johnny always secretly adored, who has nothing but disdain for him. Fast forward to age thirty-three, and not much has changed for poor Johnny. He's been a best man eight times. The only woman in his life is Sam, who also happens to love sports and beer, and would be perfect for him, if she were into men. So when Johnny meets Helen, he is determined to make all the changes necessary to win, and keep, the girl. But will it be worth if he can never be himself?

I have to start this review by saying, THE BRO-MAGNET is laugh-out-loud funny. I was reading this in the car on a roadtrip, and I kept busting out laughing and reciting lines for my husband. Very early on, I realized that the book would make a terrific movie. It could be one of those great comedies, starring someone like Vince Vaughn, that also has a nice bit of heart and a message.

The realistic, matter-of-fact narrative written by author Lauren Baratz-Logsted was a like a blast of refreshing air and offered a much needed change of pace for me. To be inside the mind of a man, especially one like Johnny, was a blast. It also gave me a lot to think about, to be honest, in regards to expectations, and trying to change people.

The heart of THE BRO-MAGNET is Johnny's journey to John, his transformation from an overgrown boy to a man. And how far he's willing to go to get the girl. The advice he gets is often hilarious and sometimes off. I'm beginning to think, compared to some of the women in the book, that I'm a bit off. Johnny/John loves sports, casual clothing and Morning Joe. All of to which I say "Yes! And can I have some more.". He's also smart and good looking. Um...I'm not seeing the problem here! Okay, I have to admit, I'm one of the most chilled-out wives ever, so my opionion probably doesn't count. Of course, he could stand to be a bit more charming or attentative, I get that. I just didn't want him to lose the essential (read:awesome) parts of his personality. And finding out just how far he's willing to go for Helen made me read this book at a blazing pace, exhilarated when the story came full circle.

THE BRO-MAGNET is a book that both men and women will love. The men will undoubtedly want to be him, while the women will want to fix him. The story is hysterical, surprisingly charming, and ultimately heart-warming.


Favorite Quote:
(A little context: Johnny is being berated by his best friend's wife, Alice, for his immature style, particularly for wearing a baseball cap.The whole conversation was so funny.)

"Nearly everything that's wrong with this world can be traced to some guy somewhere wearing a backwards baseball cap." (ebook, 60%)


Published December 11th 2011 by TKA Distribution


You can purchase THE BRO-MAGNET at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble



Source: Received from the author/publisher via NetGalley.

9 comments:

  1. not really my type of book but the review was AWESOME :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL ok, it worked this time. :) I'm glad you liked this book. It definitely looks like something I would like. I will have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! This plot would make a hilarious movie! I LOL'd when I was reading the synopsis because when I came across Helen Troy my mind read it as Helen "Of" Troy. For a brief second I thought it was also incorporating Greek Mythology.. I was like "whaaat?" Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun and entertaining read. I really want to read this now. Awesome review hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, it's been so long since Ive been on your blog, I just want to roll around and make love to it..

    Here is a reinactment of me doing just that.... "Whoa" "OH FUCK!" *slap* "OH PLEASE!" *inner goddess creams*

    Okay.. I'm good now. I need a candy Cigarette. lol

    I normally wouldnt' pick this book up.. but if you think it's funny I will probably will like it. :) I'm also a pretty chill wife. Brian could get a way with so much, but he's a hermit. lol.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised a book like this wasn't written by a man. Great review. I'm always down with hilarious books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title alone cracks me up! I'm always up for a "laugh out loud" book and this sounds like a very entertaining read! Great review Andrea :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post